There are many determined and talented, economically-disadvantaged students in Nigeria who lack only financial resources and access to information to better their educational future. For the 10th year, the United States Mission Nigeria seeks to identify highly academically qualified and motivated, low-income, Senior Secondary 3 (SS3) students or fresh Secondary school or University graduates in Nigeria to join the EducationUSA Student Achievers Program (EdSAP).
EdSAP’s mission is to assist highly-talented and determined, economically-disadvantaged students to negotiate and finance the admissions process for colleges and universities in the United States. The aim is to produce highly-skilled and widely-educated leaders to build tomorrow’s Nigeria.
EdSAP works closely with students through regularly scheduled meetings and seminars to assist them throughout the application process to secure admission and scholarships for colleges and universities in the United States. EdSAP finances all costs of the application process, including registration fees for required standardized examinations and provides free membership to the U.S. EducationUSA Advising Center for its participants. EdSAP expects a sincere commitment of students to give back their energy and time to the program and to their communities and to be the best they can be.
Applicants are welcome from all the states in Nigeria. However, students must be able to reach our offices in Abuja or Lagos on a monthly basis during the school year, throughout school holidays, and after the WASSCE exams or during NYSC year, for full participation. Participants will work with our EducationUSA Advisors from June 2016 – August 2017 to try to secure places and financial assistance to begin study in the U.S. in August 2017.
Successful students will be part of a global network of EdSAP students from 17 countries and four continents. To learn more about successful EdSAP students, visit www.usapglobal.org
Note: ENTRANCE INTO THIS PROGRAM IS NO GUARANTEE OF A SCHOLARSHIP OR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO STUDY IN THE UNITED STATES.
– Strong academic record/ transcript
– Involvement in leadership roles
– Excellent community service participation
– Financial Need
– Transcripts that show an A average or above 75%
– WAEC results (if available): 7 A’s & above
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
– Robust participation in extracurricular activities (For prospective undergraduate students)
– Relevant work/research/teaching experience ((For prospective graduate students)
– Complete the attached Application Form: You can fill out the attached word document electronically and send as an attachment to our email.
– Attach a photocopy of your WAEC “O” Level results, if available (from WAEC website).
(Include Cambridge A’Level or IGSCE results, if applicable.)
– Request a teacher or your school principal (undergrads) or lecturer/supervisor (graduate) to complete the attached letter of recommendation form, attesting to your character, talent and skills. Please do not include a basic testimonial that does not talk about you as an individual.
- For high school students, send a scanned copy of your transcript from JS1 to SS3 including your mock and first term results, if possible. For graduates, attach a copy of your University degree transcript, if available (a student copy is acceptable)
– Write two essays, one from Group A and one from Group B, each of about 250– 300 words
– Send a scanned copy of any supplementary certificates of achievement
NOTE: Please send all documents to Lagoseducationusa@state.gov as attachments in one email only with proper titles e.g. “Femi King Transcript”, “Femi King WAEC” etc
– All documents must be sent by the Deadline: Friday, June 15th, 2016
OR MAIL THEM TO:
EducationUSA Advising Center
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Consulate General
2, Walter Carrington Crescent,
Victoria Island, Lagos
Tel: 01-4603801; 01- 4603803
Please complete this application form fully, providing us with as much information as you can about yourself, your dreams and ambitions; your family background and your academic and co-curricular activities. Please send all parts of our application together at one time to ensure that your application is complete and includes contact information for you. We cannot consider incomplete applications.
Because of the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY respond individually to those who are successfully selected to participate in the program.